Fancy getting a hug from your kids after their evening snack? This Beetroot Chocolate Cake Recipe may just do the trick.
This chocolate cake recipe is literally my go-to Healthy Cake Recipe for Kids. It contains beetroot which most kids don’t eat in any case (and many adults!!). And you can even substitute that with bananas for a different recipe.
Serves: 12-14 kids/ 8-10 adults
Beetroot Chocolate Cake Recipe for Kids
Despite the sugar and chocolate, this recipe is definitely part of my Easy Healthy Snacks for Kids repertoire. Incredibly, it is also a simple, one bowl cake recipe that works really well for infrequent and inexpert bakers like me.
- 1 cup wheat flour (maida)
- 1/2 cup wholewheat flour (atta) or multigrain flour
- 50gms grated beetroot
- 100gms butter
- 100 gms milk chocolate / dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup castor sugar / pounded jaggery, adjust as per taste
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Milk, or as needed
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Melt the butter, chocolate and sugar in a saucepan/bowl.
- Add the grated beetroot and stir well.
- Add the egg and mix through.
- Stir in the atta, maida, salt and baking powder. Fold the mix with care and add milk alongside.
- Ready your baking pan by lining with butter paper. If using silicon cupcake moulds like me, no prep is required.
- Pour mix into your moulds
- Bake at 170C. The cupcake moulds will bake within 25-30 mins while the cake pan may take at least 40 mins.
My daughter and I baked this cake together. When I started grating the beetroot, she was hesitant and unsure. But the melted chocolate brought back her smile. She even agreed to lick the cake mix from my finger (she never ever tastes food that is still “in the cooking process”) and confirmed that it was yummy.
And she carried the cupcakes for her school tiffin snack over the next 2 days, thrilled to bits!
For more wonderful hacks on adding veggies and fruits to your kids sweet treats, try these wonderful muffins.
Note: This recipe is a treat and should be made occasionally. After all, it is chocolate cake.